Sunday, July 13, 2008

Why We Should Pray

Luke, among others, recorded Jesus’ commandment “that men ought always to pray, and not to faint” (New Testament | Luke 18:1).

Amulek taught even more specifically about prayer in the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ:
Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.
Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:18 - 27).
As we keep the commandments, including this one to pray always, we are taught by Amulek’s companion Alma that “inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land” (Book of Mormon | Alma 36:30).

I have seen and felt many times in my life when keeping the commandments, especially the commandment to pray always, which brings me closer to God, which softens my heart, and makes it easier to obey God’s commandments, that my station in life has improved. At times, I have been prospered spiritually, at other times I have been prospered temporally, and at times in both ways!

I know that God keeps his promises and that he loves us. I know that God lives! I have seen and felt his presence many, many times in my life. His Holy Spirit is my constant companion, if I choose to allow it to enter my heart and mind. He does make my bosom burn inside of me the same way that Christ’s Apostles during his time ministering on the Earth did burn (Luke 24:32). I know that God lives, that Jesus Christ is his son, and that through the Holy Ghost he does testify to us of all things, if we will but pray always. This is my testimony, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment