Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why I Believe in Christ, Part 1

I've noticed I probably get more hits to my post "My Favorite Hymn—I Believe in Christ" than anything else I've written on this blog. Yet all I did was post the lyrics. I think several of my next posts will describe exactly why I believe in Christ and why this hymn is true. First, let me start with the author, Bruce R. McConkie. Watch the two videos below. They are his final talk given to the general body of the church in April of 1985 entitled "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane". You may also read it here.





I feel the Holy Spirit testifying to me as Elder McConkie speaks that his words are true. This is the same Spirit I feel when I hear or read the words of the hymn "I Believe in Christ". I testify this is one of the many witnesses I have received that Jesus is the Christ. It is also one of the many witnesses I have received that Jesus Christ has apostles on the Earth today, that in the same pattern as Matthias was called to join the original 11 apostles after Judas had fallen in Acts 1:24-26 (KJV), new apostles are called today, the most recent being Elder Quentin L. Cook, who was called as an apostle of Jesus Christ in October 2007.

I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know he has special witnesses of his mission and divinity on this Earth today. They are his apostles, in the same mold as his apostles of old. I know Jesus Christ was literally resurrected, that he has a body of flesh and bones. I share this in his name, even Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment