Thursday, January 04, 2007

Overcoming Life’s Difficulties and Hardships

I recently read this passage which reminds me of overcoming challenges in life:

“And it came to pass that when the men of Moroni saw the fierceness and the anger of the Lamanites, they were about to shrink and flee . . . and they cried with one voice unto the Lord their God, for their liberty and their freedom from bondage. And they began to stand against the Lamanites with power; and in that selfsame hour that they cried unto the Lord for their freedom, the Lamanites began to flee before them” (Book of Mormon | Alma 43:48 - 50).

I know in my life I have many times felt that everything was coming for me. I wanted more than anything else to run away—to take the easy way out. Sometimes I have, and the problem continued to follow me until I chose to confront it. However, when I pour my heart out unto the Lord, he does ease my burdens because he loves me! Heavenly Father has many times over blessed me with freedom from the problems in life that are my bondage. Sometimes the problems did flee from before me quickly, as the Lamanites did in Alma 43 above, other times it took much longer. The Lord knows exactly what I need to learn in every situation and circumstance. He eases burdens and strengthens us if we will but exercise faith in him to do so because he loves me, you, and each and every other one of his children on this Earth. Take for example the people of Alma:

“And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord” (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 24:15).

The part I love most about this scripture is not the part about the Lord easing the burdens of the people, it is that “they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.” What humility! I would speculate that being cheerful and having patience concerning our burdens makes the Lord more likely to assist us further.

I know that Heavenly Father lives. He is truly a loving God who knows each and every one of us. I have no doubt that Heavenly Father will make our burdens light, that he will give us the strength to overcome our weaknesses and our fears, and that he is truly concerned with our individual wellbeing if we will but exercise faith and call upon in prayer. Heavenly Father has eased my burdens countless times. I do not think it would have been possible for me to overcome some situations in my life without his hand and his guidance. I am so thankful to have a Father in Heaven who cares so deeply for us! If I could be but 0.00000000000000000001% of the skilled parent he his to my children I have been entrusted with on this Earth, how blessed would I be! I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ each know me personally and love me and I love them too with a love that grows daily. I share these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment