Friday, January 05, 2007

Prayer

Alma 46 is a chapter well known to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because “Moroni, who was the chief commander of the armies of the Nephites” (Book of Mormon | Alma 46:11) raises the “Title of Liberty” and takes it to the people. However, what struck me while reading this chapter today was not the Title of Liberty story as a whole, but the way in which Captain Moroni prepared to deliver this proclamation of liberty to his people. Moroni prayed with not a going though the motions prayer, rather “he prayed mightily unto his God” and “poured out his soul to God” (Book of Mormon | Alma 46:13, 17).

Moroni’s prayer also reminds me of Enos who, when desiring a remission of his sins, said: “My soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul” (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:4). Then he wrote: “And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed” (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:5).

I know because I have experienced it several times that our Father in Heaven knows us well. He can and will assist us just as our father on Earth will. I have “poured out my soul” to God many, many times and in this intimate position, I have always been given the assistance, strength or comfort I needed to carry on by our Heavenly Father. This truth that I know without a doubt I share in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment