Friday, September 14, 2007

Raising My Children

For some time my wife and I have prayed to learn how to better raise our children. We do not know the best ways to teach or discipline them and our oldest child seems to defy us at every opportunity. In addition, I feel like I have not been as much of a help to my wife as I can be because I am so wrapped up in my studies.

However, one thing that has really enhanced my graduate studies, which are far more intense than my undergraduate studies ever were, has been my attendance at the Institute of Religion. On the first day of Book of Mormon class the teacher suggested that the answers to all of life’s questions can be found within the pages of the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. Obviously, this is much more a figurative statement than a literal statement. I believed what that teacher spoke.

That evening, truly by coincidence—for I was not thinking of what I had heard earlier in the day—my wife and I began again reading the Book of Mormon with our children before they went to bed. This night was much different than past attempts. My oldest child is in first grade and was able to read about ninety percent of the words. She really was into it! I felt the Holy Ghost descend upon us in my children’s room and it filled my soul! I then remembered the statement by the teacher earlier in the day. Now I do not have to say “let’s read the Book of Mormon” before the kids go to bed. My children bring the book to us without being prompted. My six year old is excited to read every night. This is the only book she is excited to read each and every day. I believe this is because how she feels when she reads. She may not understand it at this age, but the Holy Ghost is truly testifying to her the truth of God’s words and it makes her happy!

For the three weeks since we began reading the Book of Mormon as a family, our house has become more peaceful and loving. We are kinder to each other and more will to serve. The teaching and discipline problems have seemingly disappeared. There is a direct correlation to our family reading the Book of Mormon together and happiness in our home.

I testify that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that the answers to all of our questions and concerns can be found through its study, either by scripture that applies directly or through the blessings we receive by reading it. My family is closer because of the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. This truly is my testimony, in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment