Monday, January 12, 2009

Words of the Savior

I love to read the words of the Savior Jesus Christ. It causes my heart to be so uplifted when I read the collection of modern revelations received over the past 200 years found in the Doctrine and Covenants. For I know that man and man's philosophies cannot stop God from speaking to his children on this Earth. God loves us too much to cut us off, to leave us without prophets, revelation, and doctrine.

These are some of the words of Jesus Christ found in the Doctrine and Covenants that move me deeply:
For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;

But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;

Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—

Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men (19:16-19).

For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him (18:11).

Hearken and hear and behold what I, the Lord God, shall say unto you, even Jesus Christ your Redeemer;

The light and the life of the world, a light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not;

Who so loved the world that he gave his own life, that as many as would believe might become the sons of God (34:1-3).
I love reading about the Savior's sacrifice for us in the first person. He is a perfect example of a servant. He took upon himself a burden so great that even he almost could not bare it! Then he gave himself no credit. No, the Savior gave all glory for this insurmountable task he completed to his father, our Heavenly Father.

If we could all serve others that completely, in pure, unconstrained humility, as the Savior did in his great example, this world would be an amazing place, where the Holy Ghost would dwell unconstrained, hearts would be softened, and love would abound.

I know that Jesus Christ lives! I feel is presence dwelling within my heart now as I study and contemplate his words and write what they mean to me. I know that Jesus Christ loves each and every one of us individually with a love so great we cannot comprehend. If nothing else brings you self-esteem when you are down, knowing the Savior can and will! I have personal experience with this when I suffered from the pains of depression. Jesus Christ truly knows how it feels. He can and with sympathize with you and share all the love he has to offer with you. I testify of this truth from the knowledge gained by my own personal experience that I continue to appreciate more as I think back upon it. I share this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment