Monday, November 10, 2008

November Ward Temple Night

Friday I had the opportunity to worship at my local temple, the Atlanta Temple, with my wife and her parents during our ward temple night. It was a visit we had planned more than a week earlier. Which, it turned out based upon the week's earlier events in the west, was an opportune time to attend the House of the Lord.

Once inside the temple, I felt throughout my soul what many call "the spirit of the temple". I think people use this phrase because withtin the temple, I am able to feel the Holy Ghost in strength and consistency as I can feel it no where else.

When in the temple, the best way I can describe the Holy Ghost is by one of its other names in the scriptures--the comforter. I felt this very strongly on Friday. It was exceptionally peaceful and comforting to me. I was filled with the Holy Ghost while I was within the temple walls, further strengthening my testimony that Jesus is the Christ, that he truly did live, suffer and die for my sins, set the ultimate example in all things in life and death, and that he does live again!

Attending the temple with my wife and her parents also further strengthened my bonds with each of them. Worshiping together seems to have that effect.

Once we had concluded our worship and we had exited the temple, I felt a significant difference in outside the temple compared to inside of it. There has always been a different feeling inside and out, but this time was (it is most easy to compare and contrast the immediate differences) and is (it still feels different, based upon my memory of how I felt within the temple) especially different. Over time, the world in general has been moving toward a more wicked state. However, based solely on my feelings, the gap between the House of the Lord and the outside world seems to have grown significantly since the last time I felt that contrast, only a month ago. This feeling was and is very clear to me. Things are rapidly changing in this world.

Fortunately, I know that my Savior lives. I know that he lifts me up, that he supports me when I am weak. I know that truth will prevail and that those who seek the truth will find it. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God, our Heavenly Father, speaks to us through his Holy Spirit. I know that I can, and every single person can, feel the Holy Spirit each and every day. I once had a bishop that counseled us to "have a spiritual experience every day, that if we had not had one all day long, to stay on our knees praying until we had one". I know that by striving to follow this counsel, I have become more receptive the promptings of the Holy Ghost, by which our Father in Heaven leads us. This is my sure testimony that I share with you, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment