Sunday, March 02, 2008

Those Who Keep the Commandments and Trust God Will be Lifted Up

In Alma chapter 36, Alma the Younger promises teaches wonderful truths to his son Helaman that apply to each of us. In verse 1 Alma instructs: “I swear unto you, that inasmuch as ye keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land”. Continuing in verse 3 he teaches: “I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.”

I know these are true principles because I have seen them in my life. As I have improved in keeping the commandments, the Lord has certainly prospered my family and I in the land. I do not think I realized it at the time because it was not some big event. Rather, slowly through time God blesses us. Upon reflection of where we have been and how considerably our situation has improved, certainly beyond my capabilities alone, it is clear that we have been “prospered in the land”, or our spiritual and economic situations have considerably improved as my family and I have strove move completely to keep the commandments.

Concerning the second principal spoken of in verse 3, while we have prospered in the land, it is not like is has come easily. It certainly has not. There have been many trials and tribulations. However, as we have followed the commandments by having faith in and trusting in God as Lehi taught, “and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain” (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:2). This is certainly what God does.

I testify that when we strive to follow God’s commandments and when we trust in him during the hard times, he will bless us greatly! I know this is true. I have seen in my own life. I share this in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment