Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Importance of Marriage

As my youngest brother is to be married next month, I have been thinking quite a bit about marriage and my perspective on it. I look at marriage as part of how I am saved in the kingdom of God.

As a Latter-day Saint, my view on being “saved” is much different than it is for many other Christians. (Also see this talk by Dallin H. Oaks about Mormons and being saved.) Yes, I absolutely and wholeheartedly accept Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, King, Lord, and Advocate. I have a personal relationship with him. But this is not all that is necessary to be saved. There are several saving ordinances that must performed here on this Earth by someone with the proper Priesthood authority directly from Heavenly Father, not from a university. These saving ordinances begin with baptism by immersion and finishing with being sealed in marriage for time and all eternity. In so doing we make covenants not only with each other but with our Heavenly Father. When we live up to what we agree to, Heavenly Father blesses us with the greatest of all promises: our family will be together as one unit throughout eternity.

It is because of these commitments I have made to Heavenly Father and my beautiful wife that marriage is such a serious commitment to me. If hard times come upon us, I know I will do everything I can to preserve our marriage and my relationships with my children. I do not believe that marriage is something to be trifled with. Marriage truly is the most serious of commitments and with that commitment there is great joy to be had. I have not known happier times that I have had with my wife and my children. Certainly we have had tough times and we will continue to have tough times. However, we have endured difficulties in the past and we will continue to endure them in the future. As a whole, marriage and family are the most wonderful blessings Heavenly Father has given us.

The living prophet Gordon B. Hinckley presented the Church with “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” This inspired document’s first paragraph proclaims that “marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.”

I love my wife and my two children very, very much. I know that our bond is stronger, our commitment is greater, and our ability to remain as one family unit is exceptional because of the gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives. I know that we can be a family forever. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Master and Savior. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment