Saturday, October 28, 2006

Don't Be Discouraged, Jesus Christ Knows You and Understands How You Feel!

I love counsel of the Prophet Nephi: “I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning” (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23). During this week, which for me has been filled with many opportunities to overcome discouragement, I’ve learned much in the scriptures by likening the words therein to myself.

The Lord told Jeremiah how personally he knew him. “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee” (Old Testament | Jeremiah 1:5). How wonderful it is that our Heavenly Father knew each and every one of us before we were born on this Earth! Not only did our Heavenly Father know us personally before we came to this Earth, he made sanctified us (in other words, made us holy) before we were born. How great a love for us our Father in Heaven does show! I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know you and I as intimately as they did Jeremiah of the Old Testament.

The Lord calls upon us: “BEHOLD my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him . . . he shall not fail nor be discouraged” (Old Testament | Isaiah 42:1, 42:4). It brings such joy to my heart to read that the Lord’s “soul delighteth” in me! Heavenly Father has given me so many gifts, including his spirit, which will, if I choose to trust in it, keep me from failing or becoming discouraged. This is true because, as the Apostle James wrote, “faith without works is dead” (New Testament | James 2:20).

I know that if we each do our very best and trust in our Heavenly Father and his only begotten, Jesus Christ, that they will bless our lives, that the pain and heartache of discouragement and even depression will be lifted from our souls. Jesus truly suffered for our sins; he truly felt every feeling of pain, hurt, and discouragement that we feel. Through his sacrifice we can be sanctified if we do our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment